Thursday, March 1, 2012

Hawaiian Cruise - Part 3

After our full day of touring the North Shore of Oahu, we went back to the ship, rested, and then headed out to Waikiki by taxi from the Aloha Tower.  What a disappointment Waikiki Beach was!  I was shocked at the changes since I had last been there (some time ago).  Not only has the beach eroded away, but tall highrises have been built right up to the edge of the beach, and throughout the blocks back from the beach, making it a steel jungle.  Heavy traffic was backed up on all the streets!

Gone are the lovely tropical gardens which used to surround the hotels, with their exotic flowers, and torch lights which made for such romantic walking in the evenings.  I will never return to Waikiki again!

So I took our friends, Bonnie & Mark, to the Royal Hawaiian Hotel where we walked through the lobby, enjoyed the furnishings and pictures, and then walked to the water side, where we watched the sunset.

Royal Hawaiian Hotel & Neil

View of Diamond Head from Royal Hawaiian Hotel







Beautiful sunset.

1 comment:

  1. A client recently told me the same, she will never go back to Waikiki. She said if you want to see a piece of New York, go to Waikiki... doesn't sound too tropical & relaxing to me! Shame. I agree, beautiful sunset :)

    ReplyDelete