Sunday, December 29, 2013

Visiting Aunt Dorothy

This morning Neil and I went to visit my Aunt Dorothy (my father's sister) at Summerhill Retirement Residences in North Vancouver where she has lived for nearly a year.  We also joined her for lunch in the dining room. Aunt Dorothy turned 88 years old in 2013 and is still sharp and beautifully dressed. Here is Aunt Dorothy in the dining room:

 
It is a lovely retirement facility for independent living; she is very happy there.  The public areas of the residence were beautifully decorated for Christmas, making everything look festive for the residents.
 
As a young girl I have so many memories of my Aunt Dorothy - she lived with her mother (my grandmother) for a few years before she married Ed and moved to Vancouver in 1961.  When I visited my grandmother during summer vacations in the late 1950's, I remember being in awe of the racks of pierced earrings and rows and rows of high heeled shoes in Dorothy's bedroom.  She was so sophisticated and elegant!
 
Here is Aunt Dorothy as a young woman (holding me).
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment