Monday, December 12, 2011

New British Murder Mysteries

I enjoy reading British murder mysteries such as those by P.D. James and Elizabeth George but have read most of their books so I keep looking for new authors to enthral me.  Suggestions are welcome!

The Vancouver Sun a few months ago featured a book review on the second book by author, Elly Griffiths, called "The Janus Stone".  The review made it clear that it would be best to read the first book "The Crossing Places" before continuing with the second.  The author is branding each of these books as "A Ruth Galloway Mystery".



"The Crossing Places" introduces you to Dr. Ruth Galloway, a middle aged, single woman living in a secluded cottage located near seaside marshland in Norfolk.  Dr. Galloway is a forensic archaeologist who teaches at the local university.  The story starts with her being called upon by DCI Harry Nelson to analyze human remains found on the marshland which he thinks are those of a child, Lucy Downey, who went missing 10 years prior.  These bones turn out to be centuries old, but then another child goes missing and the investigative tale begins.  I found the plot absorbing, but not so complex with overlapping stories as to be confusing.

I then read the second book, "The Janus Stone", also featuring Dr. Galloway and DCI Nelson, with their relationship getting more complex.  Again, they investigate situations where bones are recovered from ancient archaeological sites.  I recommend this one as well.

The third book in the series "The House at Sea's End" has been published and I have reserved it at VPL.  Can hardly wait to read it.

2 comments:

  1. It's good to see you posting again Donna!
    I'm a fan of Elizabeth George's writing.
    I featured a post on Jennifer Hillier, author of Creep - a very well written novel - just in case you are looking for a great read.

    Cheers, Jenny
    PEARSON REPORT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think it's great you are posting again and I'm also very interested in these suggestions for mysteries. I have recently discovered Tana French who wrote "Into the Woods" as a first novel that got a lot of good press and awards and am now reading her second "The Likeness"...both pretty good but have been distracted by the new P.D. James arriving via Amazon.ca today, "Death at Pemberley" in which she builds on Pride and Prejudice. James has always been a big Jane Austen fan and I think she had a lot of fun with this. Good on her at 90 years old!

    ReplyDelete