Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Visiting Santa Claus/ Woodward's Christmas Windows

Walking through the malls lately, you cannot escape the Santa Claus photo stations, with the lineups of parents and their young children, eyes all aglow in the wonder of telling Santa Claus what they want for Christmas.
Here are a couple of related old family photos:


The above picture is of Santa and me when I was about 4 years old.  Note the doll!  It would have been taken at Woodwards' downtown as my mother used to take me downtown on the interurban tram line from Burnaby to downtown which had a station near our home in the Collingwood & Joyce Streets area.


The above painting is by Brian Croft and features the interurban trams plus the Woodwards Christmas windows.  Visit his website to see more wonderful paintings feauturing historic items from Vancouver's history:  www.briancroft.com

Woodwards Christmas Window


The Downtown Woodwards Store

The above picture is Santa, my younger sister, Linda, and me taken probably Christmas 1953 when Linda was about 2 1/2 years old.  Linda looks terrified!  Note my scabbed knee, socks falling down, and scuffy shoes!

1 comment:

  1. Love these photos! Our family also took the Interurban(My father was a conductor on these trams) and had Santa photos at Woodwards. Donna, I guess I met you in high school and you were always immaculate in your dress so had a real laugh to see you with scuffed knees and falling down socks, scuffy shoes.

    ReplyDelete